You may have noticed that your pregnancy has come with its own share of physical challenges. There is bloating, joint pains and even sleep deprivation. But any of these shouldn’t be reason to just pop pills without your doctor’s recommendation.
Pills that were seemingly harmless and helpful before pregnancy can be very dangerous for you and your growing baby during these nine months. This makes it crucial for you to know what medications to avoid during pregnancy.
To help you and your doctor make more informed choices about which medications to take, we’ve identified 10 common ingredients used in OTC drugs that are risky for pregnant women, as well as safer alternatives.
Even then, you should use alternatives judiciously, and only as advised by your health care provider. Experts refer to safer medications because for 98 percent of prescription and OTC drugs, there simply isn’t enough data to say for sure that a drug is entirely safe to take during pregnancy. Due to ethical concerns, most FDA-approved medicines have not been tested in pregnant women.
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil)
- Herbs, minerals, amino acids, and regular vitamins.
- Isotretinoin (formerly sold as Accutane, now Absorica, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Zenatane) taken for acne.
- Thalidomide (Thalomid) taken for a type of skin disease and multiple myeloma.
Even if you are going through a rough period you should always think about the well being of your future child. A healthy baby means also a healthy and happy life for you.
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada recently published a study, which found that women don’t know their options when it comes to childbirth. Many don’t even know they have options. This may be surprising to the general population, but ask any childbirth educator or doula, and they’ll tell you it’s no shock to them.
Another study found that only 11% of women attend a childbirth class while pregnant, and many of those take only the class offered by the hospital. Those classes tend to focus on how women should behave as patients, and less on the risks and benefits of various procedures they may encounter during labor.
Now for our indian readers, we have something on this topic :
Blissful Pregnancy is the only childbirth education center in Vizag. Now, you have easy access to Prenatal Classes in Vizag. We provide complete Pregnancy & childbirth education classes in our program for expectant parents. These classes are designed to give you confidence during pregnancy and labor, making it more enjoyable period for you. These classes are essential even to be dads.
By joining Birthing Classes, you will learn about the following topics in detail.
Antenatal classes include:
- Nutrition & Diet during pregnancy
- Nutrition & Diet during lactation or diet for breastfeeding moms
- Common Physiological changes which women face during pregnancy and how to tackle them
- Pregnancy Exercises to have a normal vaginal birth.
- Kegels exercises and pelvic floor exercises, this helps in preventing urinary incontinence, rectal prolapse, uterine prolapse & it also helps for smoother labor.
- In Pregnancy Yoga or Prenatal Yoga classes, you will learn asanas and yoga poses to help you calm your mind and find the spiritual connection with the baby.
- Infant care or newborn care sessions will help you learn about complete infant care. It includes how to hold the baby after birth, how to feed the baby, how to sooth the crying baby and many more details.
- Lamaze classes and breathing exercises to help you cope with the labor pain.
We strongly suggest pregnant women to avoid taking suggestions from just anyone. It is best if you seek advice from our childbirth experts during pregnancy.
So Dear expectant moms, Join Blissful Pregnancy Classes and have a safe, healthy & enjoyable Pregnancy.
You can also join our postnatal program to help you lose weight after pregnancy. It also includes special exercises which you need to follow after pregnancy.
We also help women with PCOS or PCOD. Our special PCOS Weight-loss program includes special exercises, diet and lifestyle changes, which will serve in improving health.
Our doctors also provide Preconception counseling service, to access risk factors for expecting mom and the baby. This counseling session will help reduce the chances of poor perinatal outcomes. Read more at http://blissfulpregnancy.com/